Friday, October 2, 2009

Mama T's

I know I have mentioned it before, but just in case you missed it - my family is very close. Every Saturday, at 11am, we meet at my grandma's house (that's Mama T.) for lunch and shopping. If it's the week of someone's birthday, then everyone comes for lunch, and we usually do the activity of the birthday-girl/boy's choice, followed by dinner out. In my family, you don't just get a birthday, you get a birthday weekend. :) But I digress. Back to the Saturday tradition. So this has been going on, well, for as long as I can remember. The earliest memories I have of it were when I was really little my mom would drop me off while she went to aerobics class, and then everyone would come over for lunch. My grandpa, Pops, and I used to spend Saturday mornings playing "store", and charging Mama T. outrageous prices for items I found throughout her house. :) Ahh the good ol days. Anyway, Pops is unfortunately no longer with us, but I know he is looking down from above with a great big smile every Saturday morning.

So this past Saturday, as I was sitting at the table eating lunch, I thought to myself we've never acutally documented this tradition. Sure we have pictures of all the birthdays, but no one ever takes a picture of us doing what we do every Saturday - hanging out! So I decided to take care of that. I didn't take as many photos as I would have liked, but I think I can work on that - we are there every Saturday and all :) So for now, here is the first glimpse into a typical Saturday at Mama T's...

Photobucket
The main event is lunch. Just like in the movies, we all sit around the table, eat a FABULOUS meal that Mama T cooks for us, and chit chat about our week.

Photobucket
Did I mention the massive amounts of food we consume?! When it's mine or Caitlin's birthday, we get the special treat of Mama T's fried chicken (let me just say I wish it was my birthday EVERY week).

Photobucket
And then after lunch Aunt Rhonda (left), Aunt Terri (right), and my mom (some how escaped this photo) do dishes. I supervise. :)

Photobucket
Daisy supervises as well. She likes to make sure that there aren't any traces of food left on anything that goes in the dishwasher. :)

This post is to be continued - with more of the great tradition in my family that is Saturday at Mama T's....

1 comment:

  1. oh i love this! we had this same tradition every sunday when i lived in maryland. i miss it...a lot. thanks for the sweet reminder of memories i still have from those fantastic sundays!

    when you get a chance, try this out: get up in there with your camera. slow the shutter speed down to about 40/50/60 depending on the light (not seconds, you'll know it's seconds from the " sign prior to/following the shutter number). place the camera directly on the table and have it focus between things at something in the distance on the table - it'll make for some fun and interesting shots from a different perspective!!

    ReplyDelete

Whatcha got to say??