Monday, September 15, 2014

5 years!

This year, on July 18th, marked 5 years since the day we said I do.


In some ways, it feels like that whirlwind of a day was just yesterday.  

In other ways, it seems like it was ages ago and we have both changed so much since then.



I kind of wish we would have written down our guesses that day, for where we'd be at in life 5 years later.  I'm not entirely sure what I would have said, but actually I think it would have been pretty accurate.  I pictured us having a baby, and living happily ever after as a little family.  I'm not sure I would have guessed the timing of everything over these 5 years, but looking back I know that it all happened just when it was supposed to.  It's difficult to see that in the moment sometimes but looking back, it always makes sense.

{wedding photos by Solar Photographers}

We did a few special things to celebrate surviving 5 years of wedded bliss.  First, we acknowledged how incredibly blessed we are to have this life we have.  Sure, we complain, and have bad days, but when it comes down to it - we have it good.  This beautiful little girl came into our lives last year, and made us complete.  I remember celebrating our anniversary when she was still in my belly, and I couldn't believe it was the last one we'd celebrate as just the two of us.  Now, a time before we were "just the three of us" doesn't even seem imaginable.

The actual day of our anniversary we went back to the park where we got engaged.  We walked around with Lilly, and just took in the beautiful day.



This picture cracks me up - she's really living up to her "Big Booty Judy" nickname...


We also stopped at the bench where Matt popped the big question, and took a family photo.  Yet another surreal moment - when I sat there being proposed to, I couldn't possibly have imagined coming back, with my own little girl, to relive that moment.


On the weekend of our anniversary, we dropped Lilly off at Grandma's and had a little adventure of our own.  We talked about several ideas for how to celebrate this anniversary - a family vacation, a weekend getaway... but in the end, we stayed close to home and had a nice little getaway together.  We spent the day wandering around the Plaza, and then stayed in the Sheraton (where we stayed on our wedding night).  It was definitely strange to not have a diaper bag, not to have to walk at the pace of a toddler, and to get to speak "adult" the whole day, but it was really nice.  We enjoyed our time together, and although we probably talked about Lilly for at least half the time, we didn't let missing her put a damper on our fun. :)


We did some shopping, went out to eat, saw a movie, all those fun "date" things we hadn't done in far too long.



I apparently did nothing but take selfies the whole time... :)




To my love:  Happy 5 Years!!  Its gone by in the blink of an eye, but it truly has been the best 5 years of my life.  Thank you for being a wonderful husband, and I love you more than you could ever know!  Here's to a lifetime of happiness together. XOXO


No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatcha got to say??