yeah, I know. I missed another day. but that day I was in no shape to be taking pictures. I was parked on the couch with 7up and crackers. Well, gatorade and rice cakes, but same difference. :) Either way, I didn’t have the energy to pick up my camera for photo 49.
today, however, I was feeling much better. so much better in fact, that I thought a craft was in order! I saw this picture frame jewelry display on Pinterest a while ago, and knew I wanted to make one. I bought all the supplies I would need - $5 picture frame from Goodwill and aluminum radiator cover from Home Depot, and then it sat in the closet for a month. but I finally dragged it out along with some spray paint and mod podge, and I had myself a crafty Sunday afternoon. I think it turned out just fabulous, and I am loving it so far. It’s actually the first thing we’ve hung on the wall in our bedroom since we repainted it, oh, 2 and a half years ago. (!)
if you are curious, here’s how I made it:
1. as I mentioned, I bought a $5 frame from Goodwill. I made sure to get one with matting, and that wasn’t custom framed (I needed to be able to take out the mat and reuse it) I took everything apart when I got home, and spray painted the wood frame white. (the frame was pretty beat up already, so after it was all painted I decided to take some sandpaper to it and give it a more distressed look. [I also ran out of spray paint, and it was easier to make it ‘distressed’ than to go to the store] :)
2. I took the mat board out and then used a piece of scrapbook paper to cover it. I measured and cut the paper into 4 strips, so they wouldn’t overlap. I attached them with spray adhesive, and then mod podged over the whole thing.
3. The decorative radiator cover came from Home Depot – it was a little pricey at $18 for a 12” x 24” sheet, but it was really the only expense besides the $5 frame, so I figured $23 wasn’t bad for the whole project. That handyman I live with gave me some metal snips, and I used them to cut it down to size.
4. Once the spray paint and mod podge was dry, I just put the frame back together (leaving out the glass and the backing). I taped the back to hold it all together with packing tape.
5. I turned it over to the husband at this point, and had him put 2 nails in the wall for me to hang it on. (I don’t trust myself when things like leveling are involved…)
6. ta da!