Thursday, April 12, 2012

{9} 4.9.12 {gluten free, dairy free cupcakes!}

{9} 4-9-12

Today’s picture comes with a recipe, too! :)

So, for Easter, I was in charge of bringing a dessert to my mom & dad’s house.  For the past 6 months, I have been on a gluten and dairy free diet (and yes, it sucks just as bad as it sounds!)  My mom urged me to make something that I could eat (as you can imagine, most desserts become off limits when you eliminate gluten & dairy…), so I decided to give these cupcakes a try.  And let me tell you, I’m really glad I did!  I thought they were delicious.  And most things gluten &/or dairy free aren’t usually delicious.

For the cupcakes, I used a box mix from Whole Foods (King Arthur brand – this one, to be exact).  There are several box mixes to choose from, but this particular one only requires eggs and oil to be added, and no butter, so that was perfect! They were simple to whip up, and the chocolate flavor and texture was fabulous.  It tasted like REAL LIVE CAKE! 

For the frosting, I decided to make it from scratch.  There were several different recipes I debated trying, but I settled on this one.  (found on Pinterest, of course)  I actually ended up making 2 batches, because the first one just did not look right.  at. all.  I expected it to look a little different than your typical buttercream frosting, but this was bad.  I was hesitant to even try it.  So here is the variation of the recipe I used for the second batch (which I was not hesitant to try, and it was delicious):

1 c. non-hydrogenated margarine, room temp (I used Bestlife buttery baking sticks)
3-4 c. confectioners sugar
2 t. vanilla extract
(gluten free) food coloring if desired

In a stand mixer, beat the margarine until light and fluffy. Add 3 cups of confectioners sugar (sift if clumpy) and beat for 3 minutes. Add vanilla and food coloring (if desired) and beat for another 5-7 minutes. Add confectioners sugar 1/4 c. at a time until you achieve the desired consistency.

The original recipe also called for milk (of any kind- cow, almond, soy, rice…) and I used almond in the first batch.  But it gave the frosting the weirdest consistency.  It started off runny, and then it did thicken when I added more confectioner’s sugar, but it just didn’t all mix together well…or something.  All I know is that when I made it the second time, without the milk, it was the perfect consistency, the perfect texture, and it tasted really yummy.

I am pretty excited to have found a cupcake with frosting that not only can I eat, but I actually want to eat!  These were delicious, and even the husband (who is very much NOT on a gluten and dairy free diet) thought they tasted good.  His exact words: “Wow, these actually taste like cupcakes!”  Now THAT says something :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatcha got to say??